Rent a car for a week in Málaga for a road trip in Andalusia
The most logical starting point for your journey would be Málaga, but you can start in any of the cities on the map. However, there is only an airport in Málaga and Seville. Below is the route we followed, except for Cordoba, which you can skip if you are short on time.
How long does it take to see the sights of Andalusia?
Andalusia covers quite a large area and there is plenty to do and see. We would spend at least a week there, which is really too short. A week and a half would have been ideal. But if you want to walk around the towns and beaches more, stretch that time to two weeks.
If you're short on time, this article suggests starting with a 7-day road itinerary:
- Day 1: Malaga, Torremolinos Beaches.
- Day 2: Marbella, Beaches.
- Day 3: Ronda, City on a Rock.
- Day 4: Seville, Alcazar Gardens, The setting for Game of Thrones.
- Day 5: Cordoba, Mezquita of Cordoba, Roman bridge.
- Day 6: Granada, Palacio Alhambra.
- Day 7: Torremolinos, Casa de los Navajas.
So, let's take a closer look at our itinerary.
Сheap rent a car for a week in Málaga
If you are pressed for time, and you want to use every hour of your trip to Andalusia: we suggest you start and finish your journey in Málaga, where the airport of the region is located.
Here at Malaga Airport you can also rent a car through RentlineCar, which will cost you less than other operators if you book in advance. Renting a car for a week in Malaga is as simple as that: you make a reservation on our website, and we will deliver the car to Malaga Airport at a time that suits you best.
To get the most out of your Andalusia trip you need to make a list of things to see and do. We've made it easy for you and give you descriptions of the attractions of the towns and places we've listed above.
5 Best beaches in the Costa del Sol for a 7-day drive from Málaga
- Malaga, Torremolinos: Playa de la Carihuela
- Nerja: Maro beach
- Benalmadena: Playa Las Viborillas
- Fuengirola: Playa Torreblanca
- Marbella: Playa del Cabela's
With over 325 days of sunshine per year, the Costa del Sol is a wonderful holiday destination all year round. If you're driving from Málaga, you'll pass by all the beaches mentioned below (except Nerja beach, which is on the way to Granada).
Day #1: Malaga, Torremolinos Beaches
- Distance: 16,2 km from Málaga to Torremolinos
- Travel time by car: 22 min. via MA-20, MA-21
We suggest you stay in Málaga with a visit to Torremolinos, which would be an ideal choice for you.
- Torremolinos: Playa de la Carihuela, a good place for a family holiday.
- Nerja: Maro beach, it has incredible clear water, idyllic scenery and sea life. This explains why this Maro beach was chosen as the best beach in Andalusia in 2013 by the Spanish TV channel Antena 3. Visit this beach on your way from Granada.
- Benalmadena: Playa Las Viborillas, lets you feel like you're on a Caribbean island. This beach is less well-known and less crowded, which is already an advantage if you ask us.
- Fuengirola: Playa Torreblanca, popular especially with young people, but not very crowded.
Day #2: Marbella beach
- Distance: 47 km from Torremolinos
- Travel time by car: 34 min. via AP-7
Marbella: Playa del Cabela's, our favourite beach because it's upscale. In addition, the fine golden sand and calm clear water make it a nice place to relax by the Mediterranean Sea. Marbella beach is quite close to other beaches, so you can always drive along the coast if you want to choose another beach.
Day #3: Ronda, City on a rock
- Distance: 63 km from Marbella
- Travel time by car: 1 hour. 3 min. via A-397
On your way out of Málaga and Marbella, past the beaches of the Costa del Sol, you'll pass through the cliff-side town of Ronda. Ronda is such a unique place that if you could visit only one place in Andalusia it would be Ronda. It is one of the most beautiful places in Spain.
What makes Ronda amazing are the views. The town is built over the deep El Tajo gorge on a steep cliff face. From quaint tapas bars and cobbled streets to Spain's first bullfighting arena, world-famous bridge and panoramic landscapes. Ronda is one of the most picturesque cities in Spain. Be sure to spend at least 2-4 hours here.
Day #4: Seville. Alcazar Gardens, the setting for Game of Thrones and Star Wars
- Distance: 129 km from Ronda
- Travel time by car: 1 hour. 43 min. via A-374 and A-375
Seville requires more than one day. In fact, you could easily spend a whole week here. But you could easily do with two days. Before travelling to Seville, people kept telling us how hot and humid the city is in summer. This is why we recommend staying in the city for no more than two days during the summer.
Seville is home to the filming of Game of Thrones and Star Wars. Don't miss this chance to visit the famous locations! Here you will find amazing tapas bars, world-famous film locations, bullfighting, superb architecture and other attractions worth seeing.
Day #5: Cordoba. The Mezquita of Cordoba, The Roman Bridge
- Distance: 141 km from Seville
- Travel time by car: 1 hour. 43 min. via A-4
Cordoba is another popular city in Andalusia, famous for its architecture. Highlights include:
- Mezquita Cordoba.
- Roman bridge.
- The Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos, with its beautiful gardens.
- Casa Andalusi, seventeenth century house.
The area around the famous Mezquita is called Calleja de las Flores. Here you can enjoy a stroll with stunning views of the gardens.
Day #6: Granada. The famous Alhambra Palace
- Distance: 205 km from Cordoba
- Travel time by car: 2 hours. 19 min. via A-45 and A-92
It is located in the mountains, which means fabulous views, and is also home to the world-famous Alhambra. The Alhambra Palace in Granada is the most visited place in all of Spain, and for good reason.
Granada also has a completely different atmosphere than any other Spanish city. Maybe because it's in the mountains. But Granada is a beautiful city to visit. If possible, we would recommend setting aside at least three days for the Alhambra.
Day #7: Torremolinos. Casa de los Navajas
- Distance: 137 km from Granada
- Travel time by car: 1 hour. 32 min. via A-92
Torremolinos is the ideal place to end your trip in Andalusia. Torremolinos is particularly popular with the British. There is a beach, water park, tapas bars, and the Casa de los Navajas, a spectacularly beautiful building.
The town of Torremolinos is close to Málaga and from there you can also get to Málaga Airport. Upon arrival at the airport, you will be able to drop off your rental car at Malaga Airport by contacting the RentlineCar manager ahead of time.
Cheap car rental for a week in Málaga via Rentline Car: advantages of renting a car with RentlineCar
⭐ THE RENTAL PRICE INCLUDES
📌 Equal fuel policy.
📌 Third party insurance with car passenger insurance.
📌 Free roadside assistance.
📌 Free cancellation and change of reservations.
📌 Free delivery to the Malaga Airport
📌 Unlimited mileage.